We need to be able to live as we identify and be loved as we are. We feel whole when we can be our true selves. But feeling different—or worse, unaccepted as you are—is a significant risk factor for mental health struggles.
Discrimination has far-ranging effects on the mental health of individuals. The queer community is at a higher mental health risk owing to the prejudices and negativity surrounding their sexual orientation and gender identity.
In honour of Pride Month and to spread awareness against the stigma associated with mental illness, myAvtar presents a dialogue session with Dr Gauthamadas Udipi, Leading Neuro Psychiatrist, MAP Institute of Medical Sciences.
Titled Mental Health Challenges in the Queer Community, the hour-long interactive session will discuss the topic along these lines:
- What is the psychological impact of prejudice and discrimination?
- What is “coming out” and why is it important?
- How does someone’s identity affect mental health?
- How can we be respectful of people who identify as LGBTQ?
- What kinds of things might a person who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender go through when coming out?
- How should one respond to heterosexual friends or co-workers who feel negatively about a person who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender at an office, apartment, or in any group?
- Do you think it is ever useful to disclose one’s sexual orientation during an interview?
- How to deal with homophobic comments if they come up in an interview?
If you are a member of the LGBTQ community who is struggling or an ally of the Queer community who is looking to take action to be supportive, register today for this free session.
Register today for an opportunity to understand the psychological impact of the biases and stigma, apart from knowing about ‘coming out, the influence of identity on mental health, the travails of the queer community coming out, micro aggressions, etc.
𝐓𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐜: Mental Health Challenges in the Queer Community
𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: 24th June 2022 (Friday)
𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞: 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM
𝐑𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐞𝐞: Free of cost
Registration Link: https://www.myavtar.com/webinars/details/1